Choosing a storage shed is often a big–and critical–investment. It will help you cut down on clutter in your home, free up space in your garage, and make room for your everyday life–but only if you choose the right one. Knowing what to look for in a storage shed is the best way to make sure that you’re getting a shed that is the right fit for your home and family.
1. Pay attention to the trusses. In areas with heavy snowfall, trusses should be at least 2×6″ and have metal truss plates. Lighter snowfall areas can get by with 2×4″ trusses.
2. Look underneath the building. A portable storage building should come with 4×6″ pressure treated skids and 2×6″ pressure treated floor joists.
3. Check the floor joists. In a standard shed, they should be 16″ on center. If have heavy-duty flooring, like what may be found in a portable garage, check to be sure that the joists are pressure-treated and 12″ on center. You’ll also need 3/4″ floor decking in this case.
4. Look for vents. Your storage building should have at least two vents to keep the building cooler during the hot summer months. This is particularly important if your geographic area tends to get excessively hot during the summer. You don’t want your stored items melting in the heat–nor do you want to touch metal items that have been hanging in a too-hot storage building!
5. Check out the warranty. Any portable building you decide to purchase for your home should include a warranty on construction and workmanship. Manufacturer warranties on materials used to build the shed are also important.
Your storage shed is a big purchase, and you want to be sure that you get it right! By checking out these critical criteria, you’ll find that you’re able to make a responsible purchase that will help store your possessions for a long time.
We feel your product is one of the best sheds and barns available for purchase. The employees who design, build and do the finish work of this product take great care and pride and it shows. If I had the property sape, I would set up a dealership so they could be marketed with so many possible uses as such a cost effective product.
The delivery driver Dennis was extremely professional and capable of maneuvering the building in a space-restricted spot. Amazingly, he managed to preposition the building on the truck, and maneuver the building to its target spot. Very skilled operator, diligent in overcoming obstacles, polite, and efficient. All I can say is “Wow”. Great service, Great product.
– Craig G.